Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Longing for More...

Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Psalm 27:8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, Lord, I will seek.

I listened to a sermon today from Mars Hill and the speaker highlighted these two scriptures. God has set within us a longing for something more. Within our hearts, we desire something more than the ephemeral. Our deepest desire is for the eternal and therefore, David's heart cries out for him to seek God's face, his face being a sign of his presence.
It's so hard to really be still and do nothing, to empty myself of everything and invite God into that space. Even in my time of "stillness," I must be doing something (i.e. praying, reading, talking, thinking--and having great epiphanies!--etc.). I long to know and understand and grasp the eternal, but I fear emptying myself of the things I can conceptualize and that give me a temporary sense of worth or accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment